Saturday 15 July 2017

Praise the Sun! \[T]/


I have painted the whole of my Dark Souls the Board Game miniatures and want to take the opportunity to show them off.

Caution, this post is image heavy!

The design brief I had for myself was to follow the video game art as much as possible and to favour DS3 over the others (as that is where most of the generic models are from, such as the hollows). However, some things look in digital art than physical miniatures, so I did make some changes where it looked better to do so (such as the Silver Knights cloaks).

All models have been gloss varnished for protection while gaming and then a matt varnish over that to remove the shiny finish of the gloss.

Anyway, on with the pics.

First, the Hollows:




The Hollows miniatures do not have a huge amount of detail on them and, to be fair, they dont need to; they are basic enemies. I went for the DS3 colour scheme as they are the DS3 hollows character models (personally, I would have prefered the DS1 hollows).

Next, the 'Anor Londo' enemies - Silver Knights and Royal Sentinels.






The Silver Knights, in the video game, have brown cloaks, but these did not look interesting so I opted for this blue-green colour. The Royal Sentinels do not have this brown-red colour on them but I thought it made them more interesting than just white and gold.

Now, the Mini-bosses.




The Outrider Knight (or Frost Knight, as it is better known). I tried to make it 'frosty' as an overall effect by highlighting the armour with a mix of silver and white. Along with the sword blending I think the knight does look somewhat 'cold'.


 The Titanite Demon is pretty straight forward and he is simply one colour (as sort of 'metal-stone' effect). However, I made it a little bit more interesting by adding the blue colour to his face and catch-pole. 



The Belfry Gargoyle has been kept close to the video game colour scheme, with the very verdigris bronze armour. 




The Winged Knight has a standard colour scheme, complete with the heraldry on his surcoat (which I have painted in an abstract way, but it works as long as you don't stare too closely... 


And now, the main bosses.




The Dancer of the Boreal Valley was interesting to paint. The model is aweful out of the box as it looks like she is falling foward (both of her feet are close together). The current theory was the model was changed to fit it in the box (though SFG blamed Bandai). Anyway...
I changed the model to be taking a half step forward and it looks loads better (still not anywhere near as good as the the concept model we were shown).
In the game, her cloak is very thin and transparent but I settled on white. Her sword is meant to be on fire but the model is weird and has no flame on it, so I just ignored the weird pattern on top of it and blended it like fire.
I think she turned out ok, all things considered.







Ornstein and Smough; is there a more iconic Dark Souls boss as these two?
Lets deal with the elephant in the room; Smough's bollock helmet. Smough does not have a bollock helmet in the game; there is a bulge, but it is a single bulge and not a pair of bollocks.
Anyway, lets move on. These two are pretty awesome miniatures (excepting Smough's very heavy hammer and the haft cannot bear the weight). 
The main colour for these is gold, so that is what I did; did not want to play about with the style of these two. The gold turned out a little more muted than I expected it to; would have prefered one shade more yellow gold. But I think they look good. I painted a little more red on Ornstein than the model suggests (because the model does not follow the video game fully; Ornstein has a ragged red kilt under his armour). 

That is all the enemies, now for the heroes.










I followed the game art as much as I could with the heroes and I think they look pretty close to their video counter-parts. I like the way they turned out (how many shades of grey can you get on 1 miniature?!).

And a bonus figure.


This is a Reaper Bones Blacksmith but looked quite good as an Andre miniature. Keeping my eye out for a firekeeper.

No doubt there will be more Dark Souls miniatures posted when October rolls around...






1 comment:

  1. Wow these look amazing, do you happen to have a list of paints used for these?

    ReplyDelete